A random picture from the photo gallery A random picture from the photo gallery A random picture from the photo gallery A random picture from the photo gallery A random picture from the photo gallery

Latest News

Contact Winsoc

Contact Us

Minutes 2018 - 3rd September
Written by Pat Marsh   
Thursday, 01 November 2018 18:02

The Wincheap Society

Minutes of the Committee Meeting of The Wincheap Society

at 7.30 pm on Monday, 3rd September 2018 at 18, Martyrs Field Road

(thanks to Pat)

Present: John Osborne (Chairman), Derek Maslin, Barney Parsons, Gillian Bull, Pat Marsh, Cllr Nick Eden-Green

1. Apologies for absence: Eddie Peake, Ed Craven

2. Minutes of the last Meeting 2nd July, 2018

Pat will correct 4.v Refreshments to read “John will get 12 bottles of wine, provide bottled water and hire glasses from Wincheap Wines.” (not Morrison’s).

Action: Pat

3. Matters Arising.

i. Subway

All the flaking paint has been stripped off on the approaches and something has been done about the drain. The tiling is to be started towards the end of this month. There will be black tiles along the bottom, 70% white tiles and two different blues randomly placed to cover the rest of the area. The special film covering in the tunnel will be done after that and the lighting last. Gillian brought up the question of insurance for the work and Nick said he would find out.

ii. CA//18/ 00436 – 21 Wincheap

No decision yet.

iii. Dane John Gardens Night-Time Closure

The Canterbury Journal says the proposed plan is probably not going to happen as it would cost £62,400 to have lockable gates. The police have also stated that the footbridge cannot be closed in the proposed way.

iv. Quiz Night

Joe will take this on but not until November or perhaps the New Year.

Action: Joe

v. AGM Inquest

It was agreed that the AGM went very well although we didn't get many new members. We received £147.50 in subs and £6 in donations.

vi. CA//18/ 01062 – 128 Wincheap

Planning permission was granted and the windows have already been installed.

vii. HE / FE Community Operations – Street Meet 29.09.18

After looking into this further, Pat thought it would be more effective if she, Barney and Derek visited each house on Martyrs Field Road with bins continually on the pavement and explained about bin collections and keeping bins behind the houses. She will draft a letter to leave with residents and put through the door of those who aren’t at home when visited.

Action: Pat, Barney, Derek

viii. N.H.S. at 70 - Q and A 12.07.18

No one went.

ix. Sustainable Development Goals 17.07.18

No one went.

x. Railway Bridge

Maintenance workers did some work in August and some graffiti has been cleaned off the upper panels but not off the walls. They stated this had not been in their brief.

xi. Martyrs Field Road parking

There will be no survey on residents-only parking for another three years as the one this year didn’t have enough support. Pat’s proposal that double yellow lines should be painted on one side of the road was rejected at a Council meeting on parking issues. The only remaining option to improve the situation is to make the road one-way. This is usually only done if refuse trucks and emergency vehicles report having problems of access. Pat will talk to Tim at No.81, who wrote to the papers about the problem, and see if he wants to join us in proposing this to KCC.

Action: Pat

4. Queries raised by member since AGM

i. Bus Service (Thanington developments)

In accordance with the 106 agreement, for five years the developer will pay a subvention to Stagecoach for a bus to and from the development. It was noted that, unless a bus service is available to residents immediately, people will use cars and their habits will become established. There is no information about running the service in the evenings and on Sundays. The existing No.1 service doesn’t run at these times and is inadequate.

ii. Cooper’s Lane

The Lane is full of bricks and in a very bad state.

iii. Horses and Goats footpath

This was blocked but only temporarily.

5. Christmas Window Display Competition for Wincheap

John's idea was warmly received. It was thought we could produce a certificate and cup for the winner, together with a bottle of whisky. The judging by the committee could take place on 21st December. John will produce a flyer for businesses on Wincheap explaining the competition.

Action: John

6. Quiz Nights coming up

i. Headway K&C – 21.09.18

ii. Allotment Holders – 29.09.18 Scout Hut

WinSoc will enter a team for this. The maximum number for a team is eight.

7. Obituaries - Deaths Recorded Since Our Last Meeting

Teddy Johnson, UK representative in Eurovision 1959 with Pearl Carr (Sing, Little Birdie); Peter Stringfellow, nightclub owner; Glynn Edwards, British TV actor (Dave the Barman at The Winchester Club in Minder); Barry Chuckle of comedy duo The Chuckle Brothers; Tony Bullimore, British businessman and international yachtsman (survived in capsized boat for four days during single-handed around-the-world race); Hilary Lister, British record-breaking quadriplegic sailor; Mary Ellis, Air Transport Auxiliary pilot during WWII (she delivered 76 different types of aircraft from Spitfires to Lancasters from factories to airfields); Aretha Franklyn, American singer-songwriter, “The Queen of Soul”; John McCain, Vietnam War veteran and US senator; Neil Simon, American playwright (The Odd Couple, The Goodbye Girl, Barefoot in the Park); Lord Melchett, environmental activist (Executive Director of Greenpeace 1989-2000); Dave Richardson, owner of The Sportsman Café, Wincheap; Kofi Annan, Ghanaian diplomat, 7th UN Secretary- General, co-recipient with the UN of the Nobel Peace Prize 2001.

8. Any other business

  1. Nick and Gillian have separately met Camilla Swire. She is concerned about the view from their house, which was a ruined abbey, if the Cockering Rd development goes ahead. As our interests coincide, she is trying to make an alliance with us. She has twice obstructed the planning application coming to the Planning Committee through Richard Buxton Associates, her solicitors. A meeting has been set up with Rosie Duffield, MP at the TNRC on 14th September to talk about the development. Camilla is basing her objections on environmental issues while Gillian will talk on the basis of road safety and traffic flow planning. They will hope that Rosie will take up the issue with the Government. In Nick’s meeting with Camilla, he directed her to all the reports on the WinSoc blog and gave her detailed plans.

ii. Louisa Parsons has asked us to lobby for a bus stop outside Aldi as there is currently a very long distance between the bus stops on Pin Hill and on St Dunstan’s St. John will contact Stagecoach about this.

Action: John

iii. The Canterbury Society newsletter informs us that the Heritage Open Days this year will be 6th – 9th and 13th - 16th September. The Canterbury Food & Drink Festival takes place in Dane John Gardens from 21st to 23rd September. Growing Canterbury’s Green Heritage: Day Conference takes place 10am – 4pm on Saturday, 6th October at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge.

  1. John has signed off the WinSoc Accounts.

9. Date of next Meeting

Monday, 15th October 7.30pm. Venue TBA