A random picture from the photo gallery A random picture from the photo gallery A random picture from the photo gallery A random picture from the photo gallery A random picture from the photo gallery

Latest News

Contact Winsoc

Contact Us

Minutes 2016-June 16th
Written by Pat Marsh   
Friday, 10 February 2017 20:22

MINUTES OF THE WINCHEAP SOCIETY COMMITTEE MEETING

held on Thursday 16 June 2016 at

at 53 Wincheap Canterbury

PRESENT

John Osborne (Chair)  Eddie Peake,  Joe Passey, Gillian Bull, Sarah Walter

 

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Pat Marsh, James Wilford, Debra Johnson and Nick Eden-Green

2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

These were agreed and signed.

3. MATTERS ARISING

(i) Cycle Lanes

John had not yet contacted the Council / Kent Highways regarding the possibility of lining areas of the pavement for cyclists.

ACTION : JO

(ii) Quiz night

Joe has booked the hall for Friday 30 September 2016.

(iii) A.G.M.  (See later)

(iv) Canterbury Christ Church University plans for the old prison.

John was hoping to go to see the plans next week and he thought that Pat had probably already been to see them.

(v) Roger Britton demolition

Nick Eden-Green had written about reasons for delay.   Rumours continue that this is partly due to the presence of asbestos in the building.

 

4. AGM

(i) Date and time

Confirmed as Friday 24 June 2016 at 7.30 hrs in the Jubilee Hall.

(ii) Notification of meeting to WINSOC members and the Public

John had emailed all members who had an email address.    Sarah had made us some flyers for people to put in their windows if possible.  She would put some in local shops, the garage and CMF.   James Wilford had reported that there had been quite a bit of interest in the local Facebook site.

ACTION : SW

(iii) Agenda.

Draft Agenda approved.

(iv) Chairman’s Report

John read out his proposed address and asked for comments.   One or two minor amendments suggested and agreed.

(v) Financial Statement

This had been circulated at the last meeting.   John and Eddie would make the presentation jointly.  The figures in the statement correlated exactly with the most recent Bank Statement.

(vi) Confirmation of Speaker

Nick had confirmed in writing that he would be our guest speaker on the night.

(vii) Refreshments

Joe and Sarah would do these.   Glasses could be hired from Morrisons.

ACTION : JP/SW

(viii) Membership and Subscriptions

John would contact  Ena to see if she would collect subscriptions for the Society at the meeting.   If not, Eddie was prepared to take this on.  We have a Membership Form prepared

ACTION : JO

John would mention the need for new committee members when the Committee nominations were made at the AGM.    In particular there was a need for new members who might bring computer skills to the committee.     He would also contact Dave and Spencer to see whether they wished to continue as members of the committee.

ACTION : JO

5. OBITUARIES

Mohammed Ali,  Carla Lane Writer of (amongst others)  Butterflies,  the Liver Birds;  Peter Schaffer Playwright (The Royal Hunt of the Sun); Jo Cox M.P.

6. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

(I) Noise at night

Sarah had been monitoring this and there appeared to be more noise on Fridays and Saturdays with one particular Friday being very noisy between 5am and 6am.

(ii) Sustainable Transport Blueprint for Canterbury

John reported that Pat had reviewed this document which, although it is more than three years old, is very relevant for our present situation.   She felt that in the light of our new housing development in Canterbury, the policies recommended on p.50 were particularly pertinent.

John had not printed the document out as it was 64 pages long, but he can make it available electronically to any members who wish to read it,

(iii) Talk by Chris Weatherburn of the Prince’s Foundation

Wednesday 22 June 2016 at 7.30pm at United Reform Church

“Creating Beauty in my Backyard”  (BIMBY)

BIMBY is a tool kit which has been used by communities up and down the country to   ensure that their views are taken into  account when new developments are planned.  Many communities feel that they have been ignored when new homes are proposed in their areas and only consulted when planning applications have been submitted when it is too late to have any meaningful influence on what is built.  BIMBY provides a method for local communities to engage with developers and so to shape what is built.   With the Local Plan proposing 15000 new homes in our area it is hoped that this talk may introduce some ideas and tools for engaging more effectively with planners and developers to create harmonious communities and well designed housing.

(iv) Cleaning up the air we breathe:  ideas for positive action

SHAHRAR ALI Deputy Leader of the Green Party of England and Wales is coming to talk on the vital issue of air pollution Saturday 18 June 2016 at 12 noon at the Friends Meeting House 6 The Friars Canterbury CT1 2AS

Come along from 11.30am for tea or coffee.   Meet with other concerned residents and discuss what action we can take locally.    All Welcome.

(v) Allotment Holders Quiz Saturday 9 July 2016 at the Scout Hall.

John would like to take a WINSOC team.   Please let him know if you would like to join and take part.

 

7. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING.

The next meeting will be held on Monday 18 July 2016 at 53 Wincheap at 19.30 hrs.

 

Last Updated on Friday, 10 February 2017 20:23